The eleventh newsletter by the Development Management Team has been produced for Knight's Walk and is available to read here.
Click on the links below for more information on:
- What's happening on Knight's Walk
- Coming up in April - May 2017
- Developing Designs - Facade and Fabric
- Developing Designs - Flat orientation and sunlight studies
- Study Trip to a 1 Bedroom home
- Home Size Comparison
- Indicative Timeline
- Key Guarantees
- Planters on Knight's Walk
- Gardening at No.15
- Timetable April - May
In recent weeks the design team have been developing the new homes on Knight’s Walk and looking at a ‘fabric first’ approach. The primary goal of this approach is to minimise excessive heat loss and gain by optimising the design and materials of the building. This can be achieved through combinations of; better insulated walls, optimised windows, increased air-tightness, using lighter materials, controlled ventilation and developing a simpler building form.
Images 1 and 2 show the development of the building form from January 2017 (image 1) to the current form (image 2) which reduces the surface area of the building.
Typically, applying this approach results in simpler buildings with lower energy requirements for heating, lower levels of maintenance and lower long-term running costs.
Mae architects have begun to test the orientation of new homes to develop the designs and have identified that:
- The buildings are designed to benefit from the site’s south-west aspect
- Homes will have afternoon sun
- At least 50% of the courtyard area is to receive at least two hours of sunlight on March 21st (this meets Lambeth’s Housing Design Standards).
- A reasonable level of sunlight reaches the communal courtyard.
On the 23rd March Lambeth’s Cabinet approved the improved Key Guarantees. A revised booklet containing the improved Key Guarantees will be circulated to all residents towards the end of May, however, they are available online on Lambeth’s website.
Every Thursday we are continuing to populate No.15’s garden with flowers and edible plants. This month residents of Block 11 gave us a tour of their garden and discussed the possibility of transporting some plants to the new development. Join us on Thursday 20th April 3-5pm for our gardening event at No.15.
Timetable April - May